EASY DOES IT: Potato (Batata) Poha
This is a great Indian snack at tea time or breakfast. This recipe was passed down to me by my mother and Millie (provider of the best homemade food EVER!) I have and I have followed it quite religiously to great success.
- 2 cups Poha (pressed rice or Flattened rice – this should be available in an Indian grocery store)
- 2 medium Potatoes (cut into small cubes & boiled)
- 1 finely chopped Onion
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 6-7 Curry leaves
- Small piece of Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 Green Chilly (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Handful of Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- Salt to taste
- Coconut grated fresh (if you want)
Step 1: Wash Poha. Strain and leave aside to drain so no water remains and they do not get soggy.
Step 2: Take a wok and heat the oil. Add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add curry leaves, ginger, chilly, onions and sauté well.
Step 3: Add cooked (boiled) potatoes and let it simmer. No traces of water should be there.
Step 4: Add poha, turmeric powder, coriander, sugar, salt, lime juice and mix well on a slow fire for a few minutes.